Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Tuesday

I am absolutely guilty of blog-neglect.  Talk about how to lose an audience!

I had great intentions to have a weekend summary entry on Sunday night, but I had trouble uploading pics from my laptop.  Then when I did get the pics posted from my desktop yesterday, Blogger did its thing of limiting my text options once the photos were in place.  I got frustrated, thought I would make a follow-up entry from the couch and just published the visuals.  Obviously, the evening was not that productive.

So many thanks to 2 for falling on her sword and accompanying me to George Strait in DSM on Friday night.  That pic of us in front of the Wells Fargo stagecoach was taken by a security guy as we were leaving the arena.  Our seats were good, but a few rows up from being great.  The place was packed as you could see from the pic taken looking across the arena from our seats.  The big overhead video screens gave a good view to everyone. 

The opening act was Ronnie Dunn (of Brooks & Dunn fame).  He still has the voice, but he looks like a few miles of bad road.  His band was also a bit edgy, tatted, and more rocky than country.  George's band was 10-guys strong, and traditional country.  There were no wardrobe changes.  The highlight for me was the electricity in the area that came out upon George's entrance and through his first two songs.  Very cool.  Worth the trip...and the price of the secondary-market ticket.

Dinner in DSM was with our friends Dr. Doug and wife Carole at a new spot called the Blue Tomato (in West DSM).  Casual Italian fare with an open kitchen.  Not the longest menu, but not bad.  And they had a wine list apart from the menu.  Bonus.  We had a bottle of a nice, dry Sangiovese.  A very favorable over all experience.  I'd go back.

Also props go out to 3 and 3.1 for taking their time and making the effort to get back to Iowa for Easter.  They covered a lot of territory in less than 72 hours.  And 3 had to deal with her regional allergies throughout.  We tried an alcohol remedy by doing a little damage to the wine inventory on Saturday night at the fff bar-b-que on Century Heights.  Results were not that great.  Maybe better wine will help next time.

Those selfies were snapped within minutes of one another on the bike path Sunday afternoon.  (Yes, I am back in training mode.  New bike and all.)  I hadn't seen my first cousin Fran since last Summer.  He's not been able to run much the last year or so.  But he gets out there and does what he can.  And 2 and The W were out for their own walk.  Its a small world.

The pace on I-80 going over to DSM on Friday afternoon was a high as I can remember.  And it was basically bumper-to-bumper all the way over.  If you weren't doing 80, you had someone all over your back bumper.  We made it to the Newton exit for our Days Inn location in less than two hours.  That's pretty much record time.  I don't think everyone was going to the George Strait concert.

Oh, and the crowd at the concert was definitely classic white trash.  Not that there's anything wrong with that.  Lots of questionable outfits on the females.  Guys with plaid shirts, cowboy hats and boots.
Didn't see anyone of color.  I'm sure that progressive observers could come up with a laundry-list of the things wrong with America if they were to look at that assembly.  Rural America may never be relevant to the Transformationalist's.  We are hopeless.

24 ounce beer in aluminum cans was the drink of choice at the arena.  Its like a small pitcher.  A half carafe, for sure.  For $8-9.  Really not a bad price.  But that's a lot of beer!


My pal Bill and spouse are headed for some post-April 15th R&R at a resort in Turks and Caicos.  I had actually heard the name of the island previously, but had no idea of the location.  I think they do a lot of banking there...as in shadow-y banking.  They connect through Charlotte going, and Miami on the return.  Who would have thought Charlotte?

The guy who won the Boston Marathon yesterday is a previous winner of our local Bix Seven race.  He's scheduled to return here again in July.  I'm sure he'll get lots of requests for other appearances after yesterday.

OK.  Maybe more of a travelogue than anything, but at least I made an entry, yes?  More to come this week.

Thanks for reading.  Enjoy some Spring!

BCOT

1 comment:

Mary Margaret said...

welcome back to the airwaves! great to get back for easter and looking forward to seeing you this weekend!