Friday, April 04, 2014

Friday...Short Update

I actually thought I was going to get this done yesterday, but life got in the way.  Way too many tasks on the list.

My memory-wall calendars note that I've been outside on my bike numerous times in late March and early April in recent years.  Not so much for 2014.  I am also reminded to get my pre-emergent down in my yard.  Maybe Sunday.

Another sign of the different standard for D-1 college basketball coaches is being reported on the sports pages this week.  Kelvin Sampson, who got run out of not one, but two high-profile jobs in the past for rules-violations, has been hired by the University of Houston to lead the Cougars to the Holy Grail.  This follows on the heels of Auburn bringing admitted-liar Bruce Pearl back from the Wasteland to find some wins in the SEC.

Pearl is getting the bigger financial package at somewhere around $2 million a year.  Sampson is a cheap-date (?), apparently in for around a single mill-burger per year.  Desperation yields curious decisions.  But this is all about the student in the student-athlete equation.  Right.

Then you have some NY media folks criticizing the Mets' second baseman for taking a couple of days off to be with his wife for the birth of their child.  Really?  Will anyone even remember games from the first of April come September?  The player must be a Republican. 

The below link is to an article offering an interesting take on religion and environmentalism.  I have been bothered in recent years by the Left's willingness to discount Christianity for the sake of progressive beliefs that take an "enlightened" approach to our modern society. I'm no bible-thumper, but I've said for most of my adult life, a little religion is good for people. http://www.nationalreview.com/article/374672/judaism-christianity-environmentalism-dennis-prager

Minnesota wins the prize for the 69th best team in the country with their NIT victory in MSG last night.  I lose another dollar to 1.1.  This is the same game that the Hawks lost in a year ago.  My theory is that since ESPN doesn't have any of the NCAA games, they need content, and on a night with no other college games, they make their normal viewing numbers.  Whatever. 

(Totally obscure news.  Did anyone in the Peanut Gallery know that the CBI tournament has a best-of-three-game final pairing?  Bonus points if you know this year's finalists.)

Hope its a Good Friday in your neighborhood.

UPDATE: I meant to add this when I first posted today as yet another kerfuffle in the world of sports, but I got distracted.  Then when I put the golf tournament on the TV this afternoon, I remembered my thought. 

I'm really not sure how they get away with it, given the obvious turned-eye to political correctness, but Golf Digest has again justified a peripheral sex symbol for their annual fitness cover story.  Rather than feature one of the women on tour (and I think that they have numerous options who qualify with the right stuff), they pull in Dustin Johnson's fiancée...who just happens to be The Great One's daughter.  And a Paris Hilton wannabe.

Last year's cover talent was a gal from the Golf Channel, Holly Sonders, who at least has a direct involvement in golf commerce.  She's a studio host on a weekday morning show.  Her bio lists her as a Michigan State grad and a member of their Big 10 championship golf squad.  Whatever.  She looks good on the tube.

It seems like Golf Digest uses it's Fit edition similar to the SI swim suit mag, dropping any pretense of the sporting life for "sex sells".  Pics within the articles show even more skin.  I'm OK with that, as are probably most of the guys on the range.  I'm guessing that these once-a-year editions out-sell the other months by a long shot. 

(For what its worth, some of the girls in golf, tennis and Olympic sports...who have the assets...do calendars or fashion shoots to expand their careers.  And it seems to be accepted.  You don't even see much disparagement these days of Danica for having done the swim suit issue a couple of times.  Can you begrudge a girl who wants to make an extra buck?)

Is it the weekend yet?

BCOT




No comments: