Sunday, August 28, 2011

Sunday

While the East Coast and the Southwest have enduring hurricane and drought conditions respectively, the Midwest is enjoying a run of really nice days.  Top Ten's for sure.  3 should jump on here and give us a first-person report on Irene.

My pal Terry O came over last night for a little BBQ on the driveway.  Brats and veggies. He supplied the wine (not a bad Malbec) and beer (a foo-foo import or local brew).  The original plan had been to do a ride and then find a spot for a sandwich, but I decided that another day of rest was more to my liking.  That tooth work wasn't awful, but not a picnic either, and there's a bit of lingering discomfort.  Besides, I liked the idea of another driveway evening.  It was a good call.

I actually went to my workout-calendar this AM to verify my 2011 "Days Out of My Bed" count, year-to-date.  45 thus far.  With a couple of TC trips in my future for certain, and maybe a C-town business conference also, the number for the year we be over 50!  A few years back, I would never have dreamed that I would have those kind of annual travel numbers.

RevKev ran into Rule #1 yesterday, and accounts for the spill on his blog.  Ouch!  I've been lucky this year to keep some rubber between me and the road, but I'll find the pavement sooner or later.  Sand, dirt, painted lines, grooves in a parking lot, a blowout.  Anything can happen.  That's why there is Rule #1.

A final few words on the European trip.  I had meant to add the "Bad/Poor/Questionable" moves list in follow-up to that good move list that I posted early last week.  Not that there were really any awful things to spoil the adventure, but there's always some things that can go better than what gets handed to you.  Here goes:

1.  Shattered car window/Lost mini-digi. Both on the same day.  Double bummer.
2.  Staying that fourth day in Vitoria...Sunday when everything was closed.
3.  Getting lost driving in Bilbao...twice.  Worst experiences on the trip.
4.  Not getting quite as many pics for posterity.  Blame it on the mini-digi!
5.  Not anticipating/recognizing the foreign transaction fee rules on my credit cards.
6.  We probably should have done some gift-shopping.
7.  I left my crossword book on the plane going to Paris.  Ergo: 11 days...no crosswords.
8.  The day we drove up the Tourmalet to scout the route turned into a way-too-long trip when we went down the other side and ended up all the way back at Lourdes.
9.  No pre-planning for bringing the bikes home added stress from all of the associated uncertainties in completing those arrangements the last two days of the trip.
10. 4's road-rash experience on the descent of the Col d'Aspin.

So all-in-all, there wasn't too much to carp about on a twelve-day trip with all those variables when you have a very loose plan and are not on a guided tour of anything.  We did okay.

Sounds as though Aunt Martha and family took in the sights of the pro bike race in Breckenridge yesterday. http://www.examiner.com/cycling-in-boulder/elia-viviani-wins-second-consecutive-stage-of-the-2011-usa-pro-cycling-challenge.  This high-talent-level, week-long race has several European teams entered, and includes among it's participants Cadel Evans, winner of this year's TdF.  I think that the state of Colorado has some sponsorship money in the pot to promote tourism in the state.  In recent years, Georgia and Missouri have tried to make similar races annual events, but both ran out of long-term money support.  It always comes down to the money.

I may get back here later today.  Make it a good Sunday.

BCOT





No comments: