Sunday, August 14, 2011

Sunday

We weren't quite prepared for the city's Sunday shutdown.  On a prearranged plan, I had let 4 sleep in for some extra shut-eye, and I had simply taken a leisurely 90 minute ride within the city limits.  I stopped at a nearby bakery and brought some fresh things back to the hotel.

Again, as planned, we did the "touristy" thing after showers and visited the art museums and the big cathedral.  All on foot.

The next item on the agenda was to be laundry.  But we were told that the local places would be closed on Sunday.  We took another walk and confirmed the closure at the one place that we had an address, and also confirmed that 90% of the commercial places in town were closed as well.  Other than a few cafe's and bars, most of the shops were fully shuttered.  And more than a few were on a two-week vacation.

So after our second walk, we enjoyed Tom Cruise in Days of Thunder...in Spanish.  (I've grown tired of BBC and CNN, the only English channels on the tube.  Their constant drum-pounding of the world news of war, famine, the-USA-is-a-pig, and save-the-planet mentality gets old quickly for me.)

Tomorrow is moving day.  The plan is to leave before 1000 hours for the Pyrenees.  We have a small detour back through our favorite town of Bilbao to swap out cars.  The LtPC had a relatively minor problem in the hotel garage the other night.  The over-hang in the garage is not an issue when you pull into the spot front-first.  Not quite the same when you back in as I did Friday night.  Maybe my first ever accident in a rental car.

I had an email exchange with American Express and they say that a switch of cars should be no problem with my coverage.  Hmmm.  There are a number of moving parts that make "easy" not the word that comes to mind here.  I guess we'll see.

Obviously, not much news here.  I'll maybe jump back on after we get back from dinner.

BCOT



No comments: