Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Wednesday

Craig Wilson Wednesday.

Craig voiced his problems with tattoos in today's column. Not all that inspiring. Borderline obvious. Not many 60 year-old's have envious things to say about body art on the younger generation. Body piercing has similar ratings, eh, 1?

The more pertinent topic for today is vegetable plagiarism. The papers and the media have picked up on the, dare I say, controversy?, between Jerry Seinfeld's wife's new book and that of another woman who has a similar book in print on the same subject. Letterman was, of course, after my bedtime last night, but Jerry Seinfeld was a guest, ostensibly to plug his new movie. I guess the discussion got side-tracked, or never got to the movie, and it became your classic made for the media, tempest-in-a-teapot. On mushed peas and spinach. Wow.

The non-Seinfeld book is at an obvious disadvantage. The Seinfeld name is going to sell books. That's a fact of Real World 101. From a marketer's perspective, the idea is to push books out the door. Jerry's name, and by association, Jerry's wife's name, sells. Jane Doe has an up hill battle to compete.

I compare this a little to my comments on 4000 Days about others stealing my material. Few thoughts are all that original. Creative people observe things in daily life, and those with a media portal can disseminate their thoughts to their readers. Those with no such outlets get to grouse of their plight to their limited audience.

Personally, how a Mom gets her kids to eat carrots is not all that interesting to me, regardless of the author, or the genesis of the idea to put her technique to print.

I'm probably never going to buy Cindy Crawford's furniture line, but it sells, and I'm pretty sure that her success in furniture has nothing to do with the fact that her face (and figure) graced a thousand fashion magazines over the years. Right.

Okay. That may not have exactly had a logical sequence, but the concepts do have some connectivity.

The Cabernet that we served at 1 and 1.1's wedding last Summer continues to find endorsers. We had it as one of the options at our business event at the Figge last week, and it was a big hit. I actually had a couple of attendees call me this week to get the brand (J. Lohr), and the wine store where we had purchased it. Although I am a Tuscan red aficionado, this cab goes down easily.

I have also been trying to buy an Italian wine that I found last Summer in KC, but no one has it locally. I've sent emails to other wine shops that I've found on the Internet that say that they stock this particular wine, but they must not be reading their email. It's a vintage made from Runche grapes, an obscure variety indigenous to an area in the Piedmont region. I'll keep looking. I am not a wine snob, Roy.

Got to go meet 2 to run. We'll need to avoid the goblins.

BCOT

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

our doorbell rang 3 times. i bought four bags of candy. you do the math.

this week on tv has been a tough one. where baseball used to be my least favorite sport, it has slowly become #1 on my list. for six months, you can find a game on every night (if you've got extra innings, EVERY game, EVERY night) and most nights, the hometown team. the players have slightly less controversy than the other leagues, and the TV guys are pretty good. now that the series is over, we're at an awkward spot before basketball starts. we noticed the spurs/trail blazers game was on because it had been scheduled pre-oden surgery. tonight is a 20 point blowout dallas at cleveland. preseason. ick. football doesn't do it for me. monday night you'd have thought favre was god. i suppose in green bay that is a perfectly logical conclusion. MNF should be able to come up with one or two other topics for discussion.

off for a dose of csi...