Friday, October 26, 2007

Friday

A little potpourri Friday.

Our event at the Figge Museum last night was a success. Including our staff, we had around 30 people participate. It was at least as much work as I anticipated, and when we do other similar programs in the Spring, we'll know that we can't just go through the motions and expect positive outcomes. 2 did a great job as the Figge representative to our group.

I have scheduled my second colonoscopy for mid-November. Ugh! But Uncle Phil does point out the Daddy did die of colon cancer, so I shouldn't shy away from the test. But still, ugh!

Here's another fact of technology. Those Self-Checkout stations at Walmart have a scale beneath the bag platform. If you don't put the item in the bag after you have scanned it, the screen prompts you to, "Skip Bagging and Go To Next Item". I had some big items that I was just scanning and then putting into a cart at the end of the checkout station, so I was getting this message after every item. I was a little frustrated, and then the machine called for help. The clerk then explained to me the thing about the scale. I was surprised to learn of yet another system of Big Brother watching you.

When I then put four cases of Coke on the platform to avoid the message, it went into full "Tilt" mode and the clerks had no clue. After a few minutes of trying to get the machine to re-set, they gave up and directed me elsewhere. In a perfect storm of meeting the worst result, they placed me in the next checkout station that had the long line that I had originally tried to avoid by doing it myself!

Lots of road time for us over the weekend. Keep safe.

BCOT

No comments: