Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Tuesday

Tuesday may be a day for The Workplace.

1 did a little whining yesterday about lack of recognition for her comment last Thursday on vacations. Hey, I write almost everyday to feed curious minds, and on the many days when there's no comments, I feel like one of Sartre's trees crashing in the vacuum.

My Top Ten List of worst jobs or job-related events:

1. Shovelling s**t on the farm. There was a lot of it.
2. Working the graveyard shift in the USAF at Dover in the early 70's.
3. Commuting 90+ minutes one-way in C-town for four years in the late 70's.
4. Getting sued by a client in the early 90's. Solidified my view of attorneys.
5. Fighting the IRS on a preparer penalty with an agent on a mission.
6. Working for dueling partners on an account at AA&Co. They weren't talking to one another and I was the go-between.
7. Starting a business in 1982 with no clients.
8. Milking, feeding, and herding cows in January or August. Cold or hot was was never a lot of fun on the farm.
9. Almost any IRS audit with my clients.
10. Remote Korea, December 1974. Learning the meaning of 12 on/12 off.
11. Treasurer on the Parish Council at St. Paul's, Davenport. And I volunteered for the position.! (I forgot about this one and had to add it later.)

And for equal coverage, my Top Ten List of best jobs or job-related events:

1. The April 15th parties in C-town. We were never asked back to the same place for the next year's event.
2. My Motor Pool job in Dover in 1972-73. Sgt. Bilko was my model.
3. Being the tax guy for my pals Roy and Pete. It's never dull.
4. There are few things I would change about my job today. It would be nice to make a little more money, but lots of things are good.
5. Driver of the chase car on RAGBRAI. You get to party, but don't have to ride a bike the 100 miles to get there.
6. Fan at my daughters' marathons (and half marathons).
7. Dad. The best job I've ever had. (It's not a job. It's an adventure!)
8. Clerk of the Course at high school track meets. Huh?
9. Tuscan red at Biaggi's. It may be a stretch to call it work-related, but I'll call it so.
10. Author of 4000 Days.

This is a little hokey, but there is more truth than fiction with most of the listings. I would be hard-pressed to find worse or better items for either respective list.

Have a great evening.

BCOT

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

One of my best - before I quit because they were underpaying me (hmm..that might be a theme in my working career) - Whitey's. Free ice cream. Besides that fact you get fat - what on earth is bad about that?

One of the worst - Wacky Waters. That admission hut - or the snack hut with kids coming through whining... give me a break. $5.25 and hour - totally not worth it.