Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Tuesday

2 pretty well got it right.

I have a good-sized cast on my right arm from my thumb to about mid-way up my forearm. Not a lot of pain, but a dull ache. I'm taking ibuprofen, forsaking the vicodin. My dexterity on the computer is not so good. Entries for the next couple of days will be short.

The procedure was completed according to plan. No complications. I go back to see the doc next week, and I expect to be fitted for a 4-5 week cast at that time. Ugh.

One of my thoughts while on my bike the last few days was the uniqueness of the adjectival phrase, "largely ceremonial", which is the two-word-term used to describe the last stage of the TdF. Basically, the race for the General Classification championship is completed at the end of Stage 19, and the peloton comes to Paris with only prizes for the sprinters at stake. This year, for instance, in the GC, the leader had only 23 seconds on the second place guy, who had only 8 seconds on the third place guy. But in Stage 20 on Sunday, these three guys (and their teams) really didn't race. Tradition said that they shouldn't. So they didn't.

But how many events, places (or other nouns for that matter) have their own unique adjective? Some things have a sub-title, like The Fall Classic, or The Greatest Spectacle in Racing. But I'm talking adjective here.

Think about it.

BCOT

No comments: