Thursday, July 26, 2007

Thursday

Now they've tossed the Dane Rasmussen who was leading the Tour. It isn't pretty. Whoever wins this year will have to have an asterisk after his name.

I think I'll keep a running tally on the cost of my biking accident. So far, we have $330 for bike repairs and $20 co-pay on my first doctor's visit. I pre-registered for the surgery today and the first thing that they give you is a statement on the financial aspects of the procedure. Basically, it's, "You're going to get lots of bills from lots of people. Good luck paying them." If I get done for less than $2500 it will be a miracle. There goes January in Cabo.

My laziness in not propping-up my tomato plants is coming to fruition (or lack thereof). At least half of the crop has been lost to ground rot or rabbits. The ones that I have kept are just fair. Luckily, my neighbor has had a bumper crop. But my pride has taken a hit. I've got to do some serious Fall tillage to have the plot ready for next year.

Bix is this weekend in Davenport. 2 says she will be run/walking the race on Saturday morning. 4 will be on the DL as she's having her wisdom teeth pulled tomorrow AM. While we have heat and humidity today, the forecast for Saturday is for cooler temps.

I'm not sure if the race or the blues music fest now drives the weekend. I know that each year they get bands from all over the country to come play on the levee stage along the Mississippi. And blues affectionatos from throughout the Midwest come in as well. The street fest must make money for somebody. Personally, I don't get it. It reminds me of a county fair. Hot and dirty. And no cows.

My pal Roy turned up here yesterday with a new golf club for me. I've been using the same 2 metal-wood driver off the tee for at least 10 years. When he and I last played, I had asked him if he had a newer-technology club in his inventory that might fit my needs. (The guy must have at least 1000 clubs, seriously.) I never heard from him again about it. My guess is that he woke up one night recently, remembered the conversation, and jumped on-line. So I now have a new driver. That I can't swing because of my thumb.

A friend of mine who knows that I like baseball recently asked me whom I would call my favorite player. Now. Before. Whenever. And I was stumped. I grew up listening to the Cardinals, and I guess their '64 and '67 teams would be on my short list of all-time favorite teams. I liked Ken Boyer, their third baseman more than maybe the other players, but I don't recall a big thing for him.

I liked Charlie Finley's Oakland A's teams of Catfish Hunter, Joe Rudi and Vida Blue. And I liked Dave Kingman when he played for the Cubs in the late '70's when he was their only decent player. Cal, Maddux, George Brett, the Bench/Morgan Cincinnati teams. In summary, Old School teams/players. But probably not just one. I never thought about it before.

Let's see. We have violence and dog-fighting in the NFL. Crooked refs in the NBA. Roids in baseball. Doping in cycling. Makes you proud that NASCAR's biggest problem is a little fudging on the down-force parameters!

Have a great evening.

Be careful out there.

4 comments:

Kristen Charles said...

I went to the driving range today and had a lot of fun. I was pretty decent for not having golfed in the last decade or so. I used an extra left handed set of women's clubs Phillip happened to have (he is left handed, but has a very nice set for himself). I guess I'm not certain, but I have the suspicion the clubs are a shade too short for me. We didn't make it to the putting green because Phil only had one putter. But I asked to go back again soon. If you need someone to go to Cabo in your stead, I checked my calendar and should be free :)

And who are we kidding, Dad? Wisdom teeth aren't the only or primary reason I'm not bixing it this year. But they make an awfully good excuse and make me look less pathetic than I really am.

TTYL :)

Anonymous said...

1.1 and i will be doing more than twice the bix for our training this saturday. then it's off to vegas, baby!

Anonymous said...

Shout out to charlie about those wisdom teeth. I wish I could be there to wipe my drool, as you did the same for me last year. 1.1 should start getting pumped for Kate's Vegas skivvies.. I know I already am, and I won't even be seeing them!

Anonymous said...

let's keep in mind, this is DAD'S blog. that might qualify as more information than he needed.