Thursday, December 17, 2015

Thursday

Another quick week in LtPC World.  I'm not sure if I ever get anything done.


We are giving recognition to 2 today.  I noticed on my basement calendars this morning that today is the five-year anniversary of her Iowa MBA graduation ceremony (that was our first visit to the Marriott in Coralville where we did FFF in early September).  So you are Daughter of the Day.  Hard to believe that its been five years.  This pic is not from that night, obviously, but I can't find those pictures right now.  This one would have been from earlier that year.

Are you ready for some Star Wars?  I'm thinking that there will be a dollar or two made my all of the people behind this flick.  I mean, the coverage in the combined media is the equivalent of carpet-bombing with napalm.  Yeah, I'll probably see it in a few years when it makes it way to reruns on TNT.

So I just can't bring myself to applaud Serena Williams as SI's Sportsperson of the Year.  So I'm not much of a tennis fan.  She's not much of a sympathetic figure.  Having her lounge on the front cover in a unitard is not much of a selling point to the casual fan.  I'm sure she has her advocates.


I didn't watch any of the GOP debate earlier this week.  I mean really, I agree with 4 that this process is mostly depressing to keep hearing on a daily basis...with the general election still almost a year away.  If the Donald is the nominee, we will most certainly have the first female president in our history.  And if the Donald doesn't get the nomination and runs as a third party, we will also most likely have our first female president.


The Fed rate hike came in as expected.  1/4 of 1% doesn't seem like a lot, but when rates have not gone up in almost 10 years, any increase is a BIG increase.  The markets had pretty well priced the rate increase into valuations, so the net effect in the common averages between today and yesterday has been ho-hum.  The bigger question is on the longer term...and globally.  There's some concern of international downturns next year that could strengthen the US dollar, that could then adversely impact the domestic economy as a result of the exchange rate.  It gets complicated for sure.  (But I do find that analysis more interesting than US politics.)


I've had a bit of a go-around with American Express this week on my claim for the minor parking-ramp damage incurred on the Hertz rental in Europe.  I really made a mistake by not disputing the charge on the bill that I paid after our return.  I made a bad assumption that American Express and Hertz would have this kind of thing ironed-out to a point of general efficiency.  Wrong O, Bucko! The insurance division of American Express handles this with the customer service expertise of any insurance company...delay, explain, blame others, and basically ignore.  You would think that I would have known better.  Its not like I won't get some reimbursement, but it won't come easy.  "Express" is not part of this equation.  (One of their disclaimers is that the claim can take 180 days to settle!  Of course it could.)

No big plans here for the weekend.  Obviously, I will be spending hours at the mall doing my Christmas shopping.  A week from today, there will be celebrations underway in Brooklyn!

Thanks for reading.

BCOT





1 comment:

Blogger said...

With Car Rental 8 you can discover the cheapest rental cars at over 50,000 locations across the globe.