Thursday, January 22, 2015

Thursday

It's been a struggle this week finding what ever might be called "normal" for me. The golf/marathon trip set me off my game. Better today.


Is our country mixed-up or what? We have every newscast on every channel digging into "deflationgate" today. Really? And by this evening, some of the heavy weights around the NFL are saying that Brady and the Patriots need significant discipline. At news conferences today, Belichick and Brady separately played the Egyptian card...denial, denial, denial. No one is really saying that the game was changed by less-inflated balls. But "the integrity of the game" is one of the trending phrases on Google search. With the Commissioner already reeling from the sexual assault mess from last Summer, he may feel pressure to respond.

In other sporting news, the announcement this afternoon that Jeff Gordon would be retiring after the 2015 season came as no big surprise. He's had some hints out there, including struggling with some back issues last year. My guess is that he's got enough money, the ability to stay in the game as an owner/manager/personality, and he just doesn't want to give up his family life to bang fenders with the young dudes on the track.


He could run a few races each year if he so chose, but it's hard to win if you aren't out there every week. (They already have the replacement driver for the 24 car in the Hendrick stable. It's time for Jeff to move on.)

The PN was able to fix the storm door to my kitchen door this afternoon. It had slipped off the track somehow and had become hard to close. I could tell that the hinges weren't quite right, but me attempting to fix the problem would have ruined a weekend morning (with no guarantee of a good outcome). Another example of his value in my world.

3 alerted us yesterday on the passing of the dad of one of her high school classmates. Major heart attack. Age 64. Recently retired. A harsh and proximate reminder of Rule #1: Live like you were dyin'.

Speaking of Gibbs, did anyone catch the connection at the end of Tuesday night's episode when Ducky reported that Director Vance's lung problem was not cancer, but rather the non-deadly condition of sarcoidosis? I had to go through a similar exploratory surgery when they couldn't determine my problem through X-rays or scans. The difference in my case was that it took two weeks to get results!!! They had to send the tissue sample to Mayo's to get a determination. I was a basket case awaiting the report.

My trip over to Augie last night was a bust (except for the popcorn). They played their primary rival, Illinois Wesleyan, and it was an uphill battle from the outset. Wesleyan has lost several games, and are not rated, but they played well last night. And they confounded Augie with inside screens on offense. Plus, they stayed in the grill of Augie's sharp-shooting (but small-ish) guards. Tough loss. And I missed 2's company.

Enough for this evening. I'm using the iPad so the appearance is what you get. I can't manipulate presentation on this as I can from a PC.

Hope it is a Good Friday in your neighborhood.

BCOT


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: