Monday, December 22, 2014

Monday

Sorry for not getting here over the weekend.  Friday night included a couple of parties, and Saturday was just a long day with the trip over to and back from Des Moines.  Recovery on Sunday.

For those choosing more productive pastimes, the college football bowl season is underway.  After the market closed today, I flipped the TV in my office over to ESPN and have had the BYU-Memphis game on from an almost-empty Marlins Stadium in Miami.  Haven't paid much attention to it, but they have now gone to a second OT.  BYU played in some high-scoring games in the Holiday Bowl years ago.  This one's tied at 48.  ND defense-like.  And now Memphis wins.  And an end-of-game fight breaks out.  Why not?

The report from the games in Des Moines is that the 'Clones are dangerous while Iowa looks soft.  Big crowd.  Wells Fargo is not a bad place for it.  Although they must have under-estimated the number of urinals needed in the men's rooms.  Long lines that I thought were reserved for the ladies.

My pal Doug and I had beers from the vendor between games rather than wait the lines at the concession stand.  25-ounce cans from Budweiser!  (My Coors Light was only a 24-ounce can.)  The economics weren't bad...$8.50 each.  But that's a lot of beer for a wine guy!  The inflated prices were for the other stuff;  $7.50 hotdog, $5 water and $5 popcorn at half of the second game.  Welcome to the Big Show.

A piece of unfinished business.  My absence from the blog lead to an omission of recognition for 1.02.  He was three years old on Saturday.  So here is a belated Happy Birthday, Kiddo!.  You are Grandson of the Day!

The new car is working out ok.  It doesn't have quite the oomph that the Lucerne had coming off the line, but its adequate.  Nice ride.  Decent room inside.  Comfortable.  I kinda like the reduced length on the front end of the car.  You can get fully into a parking spot without getting the nose of the car over the cement block or sidewalk at the front of a stall.

If I spent more time in the car, I would subscribe to the satellite radio service.  I have it now for a limited period with the new ownership, and it was nice to have for those trips over to C-town and DSM.  But other than the trips to Harvest Path, I just don't spend that much time in the car.  And then, I have the books-on-CD that work just fine.  I really don't need to listen to Howard Stern.
 
I may or may not get back on here tomorrow.  I leave early Wednesday and will do an entry that day from the road for sure.  (And yes, the hat will be going to the Big Apple!)  In the meantime, best wishes from our family to yours for Christmas and the family-time that we all look forward to sharing.
 
BCOT

No comments: