Thursday, September 04, 2014

Thursday

Yeah, that Monday posting of pictures was done on Tuesday.  Sometimer's again.

So the weekend was all good.  Can't decide if the highlight was the Hawk's win, the wonders of 1.01 and 1.02, or my three-case visit to Total Wine.  Not a bad trifecta to choose from.

The pics posted "Tuesday" were all on my iPhone so I just did the entry with the BlogPress app while I was at 2nd Coffee.  You can't adjust/amend a BlogPress entry through the desktop/laptop formats, so I just never got back here to fill in the blanks.


I've had the BEATER for what, 10 years or so?  Sounds about right.  I noticed on the radio this morning that the FM function has two sets of possible selected stations for the six numbered buttons that you have on the face of the radio.  When selecting FM, you get the first six, and then if you hit the FM selector again, you get a second set.  A little "1" or "2" appears beside the digital "FM" sign at the side of the display bar.  Never noticed the distinction before.  How much more of life has passed me by?


3 gave me instructions yesterday to get the emoticon keyboard on my phone.  Taking a pass on that one.  I see nothing masculine in that action.

My book-on-tape for the weekend, Marine One by a guy named James Huston, was okay to listen to, but in a post-mortem analysis, the conclusion of the novel again illustrated an author's challenge to make all of his/her story lines relevant.  In this case, there were wide swaths of the book that were nothing but "filler pages", and he left out some key points of character development for the protagonist.  I kept asking myself, "Why isn't he telling us more about his wife and kids?"  And his time line was often like the old Notre Dame football replays on Sunday mornings when the overlay announcers would say, "And now later in the game..." when it was convenient to skip some actual-game time to fit the broadcast into the allotted TV replay time.

So don't go rushing to the library to check this one out for a riveting experience.

Another note somewhat related to my trip...I think I may have to look at replacing the Buick within the next year.  I mean, we're talking about a 2007 model year.  The tires are ready for replacement...over a grand there...the front-end suspension is on its last legs...and mileage is approaching 120K.  Not really sure of my options as the Lucerne is no longer in production, and it just doesn't look like Buick or Chevy are making many 8-cylinder sedans.  And I hate calling the car guy as once you show any interest in making a change, the full-court press on getting you into a new (or new-used) car starts immediately.

The entertainment news on the hacking of compromising personal photos of some attractive celebrities is the latest example of the intersection of social media and the economy.  While revealing pics of Kate Upton generates some Internet buzz, the collateral effect on Apple, as a result of the associated iCloud involvement, sent Apple stock down over 4% yesterday, and it is negative in the pre-market today.  We're talking billions of dollars of market capitalization evaporating yesterday due to some hackers looking for some skin.

All for today.  The weekend for 4.  Another day in Ordinary Time for the rest of us.

BCOT

No comments: