Friday, September 19, 2014

Friday

This week really got away from me.  I need to re-set my schedules so that I get back here more regularly.  Its an old problem.

Actually, its been a pretty good week.  Fun night on Tuesday over in IC with 2.  How can you go wrong with Airliner pizza?  And Wednesday down at Geneva with my pal Roy was a hoot.  Last night, I worked until 7 or so, and then my pal Pete and I finished a bottle of Total Wine inventory on the driveway.  These days coming after that Sunday DeWitt breakfast ride.  Toss in two mid-day 15-milers on the bike path, and you'd have to say that LtPC has kept the LLYWD mantra on the first page of the leader board.  Good stuff.

I'm still struggling with the paperwork on the change in securities business providers.  Having now dealt with the procedures at three major investment clearing companies in the last 18 months, it is interesting to note the different policies and procedures that are employed at the different firms...to comply with the same rules and regulations from the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC).

"Papering the file" is a term that wasn't defined or described in any of the formal education programs on my resume.  In my current position, papering the file is Job One.  I blame the lawyers.  Or the bureaucrats.  Its worse than what you deal with when you by a house or a car.  And why all the paperwork?  To protect against lawsuits.  Or is it just to protect against "the suits"?  One and the same, eh?

I initially thought that ND was camped out in the NYC area this weekend.  But actually, they have an open week this weekend, but then they play Syracuse at Metlife Stadium next Saturday.  I've been getting email notices all week about alumni receptions being held in the metro area.  For the discounted rate of $75, monogram club members can party at the DL Rooftop bar on the lower East Side.

I'm theorizing that this is ND's recruiting strategy for the NYC area.  Kinda like the Big Ten and Rutgers, right?  Its all about recruiting.  And money.  Maybe, mostly about the money.

The Thought Police have taken the NFL by storm.  Its another interesting intersection of mores and money.  1.01 and I have often referred to "troubled" athletes as either being "good citizens" or not.  The term is a convenient euphemism to describe the jock who has good character, or not.  A rap sheep, or not.  Some humility, or not.  Bottom line is that most high level NCAA football and basketball teams, and all NBA and NFL teams have team members who wouldn't make top grades in good citizenship. 

There's a measurable correlation between athletic talent and the defective good citizenship gene.  I'm guessing that this has always been the case.  But with the emergence of technology/Internet/social media/TMZ, the dark side of any one's personality eventually gets plastered across the front pages of print or electronic media tabloids.  I'm pretty sure that strength in these new media mud-slinging circles is not all good, but with some of these citizenship issues, more light is not bad either.  The slippery slope is where the public judgment concept leaps the fence from crime cover-ups to philosophy on life.

Big day here today.  Make it a good weekend in your world.

BCOT



No comments: