Sunday, August 24, 2014

Sunday

This weekend certainly got away from me. 

Friday was a bit of a lost day as I had a case of, not bad shrimp, but bad clam chowder.  We had a Boy's Club luncheon at Crow Valley on Friday and I ordered a bowl of their "famous" clam chowder...which had been a fav of mine forever.  Not really sure what was in this batch of the soup, but I spent the rest of the afternoon and evening wishing I had gone for the chicken noodle option instead.

Saturday was mostly a work day, sandwiched around two-a-days on the bike (getting in 30 miles for the day).  The MCSC was open Saturday night with BBQ chops, wine and good friends.  Really a perfect night on the driveway as the heat hadn't quite come in yet.

The DeWitt ride this AM with my pal Pete was a textbook entry.  Not bad wind, good breakfast at The Sunshine Cafe, and a great draft for LtPC to make the return route pretty easy.  Thanks, friend.  And while it was just plain hot on the course this afternoon with Ron, enough good things happened to nominalize my betting losses to $4.

I'll take advice from any of the Peanut Gallery who know the secret to limit the annoying Twitter entries that now come up whenever I open the app on my iPhone.  Ever since I did the software upgrade last week to fix the "do not disturb" problem on the phone, Twitter now sends me one of the random feeds that one of the seven people I "follow" on Twitter follows on their Twitter account.  With daughters who follow various social media hot spots, or news outlets, I'm getting dinged by 'em all.  Suite.

So I have this other problem at work with the speed (actually, lack of speed) of our Internet connection.  It came to the forefront for me last week when I was stymied on two separate occasions from participating in a webinar for my securities business.  There's some new software from one of my vendors, and they wanted to do a demo for me to get the program up and running.  The training session was designed for a Go To Meeting platform.  To try and load the connection on my desktop was the equivalent of a dial-up connection.  All that was missing was that screeching noise in the background.

Our out-source IT people came in the next day at my insistence and de-bugged, cleaned, and otherwise checked out my computer for slow moving innards.  The conclusion:  not their area.  The computer is fine.  You have an Internet problem.  Thanks for the advice.

In the "What is the Meaning of Life" area, I've spent some time this weekend trying to evaluate the meaning of my mind needing 3-5 hours to figure out the "trick" in Thursday NYT crosswords.  I absolutely plateau-out with Thursday puzzles.  Mostly.  I will usually solve them eventually, but it ain't easy.  And the "trick", in retrospect, isn't always that tricky.  But I have to surround the trick boxes several times before the hidden mind twister comes to the surface.

Then I have days like this weekend where I get all of a Friday puzzle done with less angst than the Thursday puzzle.  Crazy.
The three-week Tour of Spain is underway.   Last year's winner, Chris Horner from the USA, was pulled from the start-list the night before it kicked off due to a drug reading in his system.  Like that won't call his previous results into question.  Actually, his readings are below the legal limit, and the cortisone that he was taking for bronchitis was approved by the cycling federation.  But his team, and several others, impose a higher standard...which he couldn't make.  Too bad.

That's it for this evening.  Hope everyone has a good week.  I'll try to be more regular here.  As though I haven't said that before.

BCOT





No comments: