Sunday, February 10, 2013

Sunday

It was another Lost Week.  Most of you are aware that my "cold" was diagnosed as pneumonia early last week.  I've been on anti-biotics since then. The "Z-Pak" is a fairly common prescription for a bacterial infection, I'm told.  It seems to work, as I am slowly getting back to something close to normal.  As a person who rarely gets sick enough to miss work, this has been a humbling experience.  It will be a slow climb back on the fitness trail.

The NYC girls seem to have dodged a bullet (gratuitous gun reference) with the Winter storm dumping "only" 11 inches in Central Park.  Folks a little further North and East have some serious digging-out in their immediate futures.  No envy here.  We have no snow on the ground and rain today with temps in the 40's.  Global warming fo' sure.

I read this AM that there's a bit of a kerfuffle in the weather press over The Weather Channel's decision to name these Winter storms.  They're calling this one "Nemo".  Competitors are crying "foul" over this practice, saying that Winter storms don't merit the distinction given to what they consider more serious meteorological events (read; hurricanes.)  Personally, I think that naming these storms is kinda creative...isn't everything about the message in media?  TWC got ahead of the curve.

This is certainly a recent-year's record:  I haven't had a glass of wine for over two weeks!  The last one was on Harvest Path.  The first week on the sideline, I didn't have any interest in anything beyond orange juice or grapefruit juice.  This past week, I've been reluctant to mix alcohol with the drugs.  And I'm still not quite ready for the return to my support of the grape industry.  Hopefully, that will change by Friday in St. Paul for the George Strait concert.

I've spent a lot of time watching golf over the last two weeks.  The Golf Channel usually broadcasts the European Tour twice in the morning (live, very early, and then again on tape around noon), and then has the PGA event starting at one or so.  When you start recognizing the names of guys ranked 150 or lower in the world, you know that its time to get off the couch and back to work.  (I did check green fees for Pebble Beach...$495 plus cart.  Maybe not  a trip on my Bucket List.)

 One odd, but handy, piece of knowledge I acquired while under the weather had to do with automobile maintenence.  We had a couple of very cold days a week or so ago, and the driver's side door on the Beater literally froze and wouldn't latch shut.  So it sat in the garage.  My pal Ron suggested that I use a hair blower to free-up the lock.  Hmmm.  I was skeptical as I thought there might be a mechanical problem as well, but I decided to give the blower a shot.  And it worked!  I'm sure the dealership could of made the same fix for $75 or so.

Wish I had a few more ideas to thrill my readers.  But the well is shallow right now.  I'll work on building some topics this week.  Thanks for the good wishes.

BCOT

No comments: