Friday, December 07, 2012

Friday

Another Pearl Harbor Day.  Seems like we were recognizing those patriots just a few weeks ago.  The year was a whisper.

The Salvation Bell Ringers are out in full force.  I stop at three different Hy Vee stores over the course of the week, and they have the ringers at each location.  Since I really don't "shop" that much, I can't verify how many other retail establishments participate in the program.  But I assume that it is not a short list.

My level of interest is too low to even research the topic on Google, but I remark to myself almost every time I pass a ringer that they are a Motley Crew.  I'm guessing that most of these folks are paid ringers these days.  In more traditional times, I thought the kettles were manned (woman-ned?) by volunteers from service, educational or religious organizations.  Like high school cheerleaders, for example.  Today, the ringers look more like the panhandlers at the local Interstate-exit-ramp stop signs.

I think I commented here on the blog in the last year or two about how the IRS has more-stringent criteria for the deductibility of charitable contributions.  Cash deposits to a can don't make the list.  The Salvation Army needs to get the political fund-raising consultants on board and jump into the Internet/electronic medium to tap new sources for their funding.

Looks like a busy weekend in the fam.  With 2, 3, 3.1 and @srh4 meeting up in C-town, I get to camp out with The Winniferous. 

Make it a Good Fiday.

BCOT

No comments: