Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Tuesday

Sorry for that slight omission yesterday. The best laid plans...

Interesting weather day here today. Ice. Rain. Now it's freezing whatever is on the ground. Yuck!

Glad to hear that we all have lost causes. Then again, where's 3's?

I have another example of my anti-geek-ism-ness. The wireless mouse, to my new-found wisdom, is powered by one AA battery. I actually originally thought that there was some wireless power source that came from the laptop to the mouse. Whatever. Anyway, a few days ago, the screen had given me an alert that the mouse was low on power. I disregarded the warning, thinking that re-charging the laptop would transfer to the mouse. I'm not making this up.

A couple of days back, when I picked up the mouse to stow it in my carrying case, I accidentally tripped the neatly-concealed release button...to the battery drawer/housing. Which made the "power low" warning make sense. If that were the end of the story.

So I happened to have a spare AA battery (which I thought was a new one) in my "junk" drawer. I swap out the new for the old, and, "Waallaah!" Nothing. So my natural conclusion was that my supposedly "new" battery was not so new, and a trip to Walgreen's was in order. Which didn't happen for another day or two. So I was working with the irksome touch-pad to move the mouse. Bah-humbug. (In the spirit of the season.)

I eventually do acquire said AA batteries, and subsequently do a new swap. Still no movement to the mouse. I'm mystified. I do a de-bugging exercise to see if I had unknowingly turned off some switch on the mouse protocol. I go to about the third or fourth level of the de-bugging program and I still can't find the disconnect. Do I call the geek-squad? Of course not. I resign myself to the touch-pad.

Another day later, I have an idea. I open the mouse's battery drawer and flip the battery. Problem solved. Again, I'm not making this up.

I could relate a similar story about the time a few years back when I bought a lightweight Fall coat before I realized that my Columbia full Winter coat (that I had purchased earlier that Fall) had a zip-out liner. Meant to work as a Fall jacket. But that may push the "losing the audience" envelope.

I have two graduate degrees and several professional certifications. But I wasn't in attendance at all of the classes. I'm sure some of these things were covered on those days.

3, your BFF Warren was all over the MSNBC today with Hillary. Having just hosted an intimate $1 mil fund-raiser for her. But he also supports Obama. And the estate tax. An unusual set of contradictions. Then again, when you have that much money, you can afford to be whatever you want to be.

So more ramblings tomorrow. Have a great evening.

BCOT

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The USB mouse we got for our lap top has an on/off switch so that you can switch it off to conserve the batteries.

So are you going to comment about Craig Wilson's column on decision making?

from Martha