Monday, December 03, 2007

Monday

Here's a couple of general discussion topics that Craig Wilson could absolutely use for a weekly column and be done with each inside of an hour: 1) memory issues, and 2) long term mental and physical heath effects of working third (midnight) shift.

Memory is a crazy thing. And selective. It continues to amaze me that I can remember my high school girl friend's birthday, but I have to look up my Mother's. I remember my telephone number on the farm...2-2548..., but I have to go through a process to recall my own current cell number. For years, I had my ND laundry number at the drop of a hat, and there was a combination for a padlock that followed me through the USAF, grad school, and C-town that I couldn't forget.

Jerry Lucas, one of the old NY Nicks who played at Ohio State, is a renowned memory expert. He has pulled schticks like regurgitating the name of every person in an audience after meeting each person as they come in the door. Check him out on Wikipedia. He's an interesting guy.

My pal Jake's Pants can give you a phone number of some guy he met six years ago at a bar in Malibu. Then again, he may forget his passport the next time he leaves for Mexico.

Mother remembered many things from her younger days much better than any recent things in those last couple of years of her life. Of course, she also remembered driving to South America with Daddy.

Smells have a memory trigger too. Although my sense of smell has diminished over the years, popcorn is one that still registers and brings back to mind lots of times and places. The "new car" smell is a good one too, for obvious reasons. Incense at church. Burning leaves.

Sounds too can be memory makers. Favorite songs. The crunching of snow beneath your feet on a cold Winter night. Hearing an old phrase or term in a conversation.

So we establish that all of these things allow us to recall various moments or times in our past. Does that mean that we need to crack a small vial of distinctive smelling salts to permanently etch in the date of an anniversary or birthday? Or maybe have a recording of fingernails scratching across the blackboard that you can leave with your message on the phone for a friend to return your call.

I'll tackle the graveyard shift matter tomorrow.

Have a great week.

BCOT

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nothing on sports today? Nothing on how OU kicked some Tiger butt and made it to a BCS bowl game?
Where's Iowa playing?

Boomer Sooner Boomer Sooner.

Anonymous said...

Right, Soo, act like you follow college football.