Saturday, November 08, 2014

Saturday

Looks like a pretty good Fall Saturday in the QCA.  In the Scott Street days of the 1980's, this would have been the time for caulking the brick and casing points on the window openings, and maybe for swapping out the screens and storms.  So glad that that part of my life is history.

I actually toyed with the idea of a quick trip to either the Twin Cities or Phoenix this weekend to see one of the football games...Iowa-Minnesota or ND-Arizona State.  But really, that wasn't going to happen.  Both teams could lose, and who wants to spend gratuitous time on the road for those possible outcomes?  (Good choice...Minny up by 4 touchdowns at half...and the game not that close.) ASU in particular, has a lot invested in this game.  They are favored by 2.5 and ND will be lucky to find a way to win in the Valley of the Sun.

Special recognition needs to go out to the Augustana men's basketball team.  They won that "exhibition" game the other night against D-I Bradley.  Really a big accomplishment.  That said, I had the feeling that they could be competitive given their experience last year against the Hawkeyes.  My pal Pete was giving me live reports from the game.  Good for those guys!

My pals Pete and Cal and I had post-work wine at Biaggi's last night to process the accomplishments (or lack thereof) of our respective weeks.  Cal was the instigator, setting the plan as he went into his hot yoga session in a gym(?) near Biaggi's.  He's kinda hooked on hot yoga.  Whatever.

The highlight of the evening occurred as we left.  Walking out, I caught a glimpse of a guy at the first high-top table in the bar area who somehow registered in my long-term memory.  I went up and spoke to him and confirmed the connection, calling out to Pete to come over to the table.  The guy (John) was the host of an impromptu RAGBRAI party on the patio of a hotel in Decorah, Iowa some 10-15  years ago or so.  I don't think I have seen or spoken to him since.

The story has lots of sub-plots, but I know that it was a Thursday night at the end of a tough day.  And the day before the Friday that Pete and I frequently recall as the Worst Day of Cycling, Ever! John concurred on that fact.  Pete and I were scheduled to tent outside the Decorah hotel where the guy who had a Suburban that carried our over-night stuff was registered.  But we didn't know where the hotel was (pre-Smart phones), and so we just guessed a direction...that was wrong.  We end up at John's hotel, where there's plenty of beer and we stay for a couple of hours to partake.  (I had known John through some other people with Village of East Davenport drinking credentials.)

The evening didn't end when we eventually made our way to the other hotel, as RAGBRAI nights tend to not end early.  Then the next morning, we were sweating profusely immediately.  We never passed a water stop all day, and never had to use a corn field or Porta-Potty. Hills, heat, head-winds.  Ugly day.

So not much else to relate.  Enjoy your Saturday.

BCOT

No comments: