Sunday, October 05, 2014

Sunday

Situation normal here with 10 days to go to the filing date.  Progress being made.  Lots of tasks still to do.

We've had a taste of late Fall these last couple of days.  Morning lows in the mid 30's.  No frost.  But those early walks with The Winniferous were made with heavy jackets, gloves and a stocking cap.  The near term has those temps rising so I've left the plants out on my deck for the time being.

NASCAR is in Kansas City today.  The town has had a big week in sports...the Chiefs blew out the Pats on Monday night...the Royals won the wild card game AND the first two games in their series with the Angels.  Looks like a beautiful day down there for the race.

I had College Game Day on here at the office yesterday morning...off and on. They were set up in Oxford, Mississippi...home of Ole' Miss.  Ole Miss was hosting Alabama in a big game.  Down the road in Starkville, Mississippi, Mississippi State was hosting Texas A&M in another game of highly ranked teams.  So there was a big storyline about the state of Mississippi.  Leave it to ESPN to bring in Katy Perry as the guest host on the set.

I am only vaguely familiar with this woman.  They've had enough pics on different sites over the years of her in various stages of undress such that I remembered the name.  I couldn't identify one song that she sings if my life depended upon it.

This should be Exhibit #1 to attest that the "E" in ESPN is the most important element of this media giant's DNA.  Entertainment.  The network may emphasize Sports, but with all the efforts made to expand their viewership, no stone is left unturned.

And Katy Perry's interest?  She's a performer.  ESPN offered a stage in front of a big, live audience, and a telecast audience in the millions.  Its the intersection of mutual objectives.

I paid no attention to the chat.  I mean, the show goes on for three freakin' hours.  Its no wonder that they've added fringe pieces to the format.  Why not a personality from pop-culture?  I think the regular announcers knew that the show had left the reservation. (Sorry for that racist reference.)  Exit question:  Do you think that the producers required her to cover up her assets as part of the gig? 

That big win by ND yesterday could be the season's highlight.  They could still lose four games yet this year.  Five if they get a tough opponent in a bowl game.  They have Florida State, Arizona State and USC all on the road.  Northwester and Louisville at home.  Not that I'm a naysayer, but I don't think that they're that good.

Not to be like that annoying elderly citizen talking about what ails them, but my internist has put me on over-the-counter red yeast rice to see if that can bring down my bad cholesterol.  My reading last week was 215.  I guess he had suggested it last Spring after my regular check-up had shown an elevated cholesterol count.  It never registered with me.  I stopped eating chips and gratuitous bread at meals.  Never heard of this supplement before.  It's a Japanese or Chinese remedy that seems to have some history.  We'll see.  I started on it today.  Fries are now off the menu as well.  Boring.

Hats off to my pal Pete for notching his 21st straight month with a 100-mile day on his bike.  He did a tailwind ride yesterday.  The local bike club does a tailwind ride once in the Spring and another time in the Fall.  They bus the riders over to a point against the wind to produce a 100-mile ride coming home.  They must have gone West of Iowa City yesterday as the wind was strong coming out of the northwest.  He was on his bike for less than 5 and a half hours.  That's cookin' with gas.  You da' man, @bcbison!

Enough for today.  Hope its a good week for all.

BCOT



No comments: