Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Wednesday

 
 
 

I'm throwing 2 under the bus for getting my schedule totally off track today.  That 0330 wake up call to get her to the airport put my system in the, "What's the deal now?" mode.  Having not been able to go to sleep last night, I'm short on rest.  That idea for an early ride upon return from the airport didn't fly (pardon the pun).  And it was too late to go back to bed.  All in all, just an "off" morning.

It is "that" day of the week. 

In The Joys of Home Ownership category today is the report that I had a plumber over to Maplecrest yesterday to fix a water leak that had developed within the last week.  I was getting irregular, but obviously dripping in the basement below the kitchen sink.  Turns out that the leak was actually on the water line connection to the upstairs toilet that is on the other side of the wall from the kitchen.  I hadn't inspected that possibility, but would have called the plumber to fix it even if I had noticed that as the problem.

I was on a tight schedule and wasn't able to stay with the plumber as he finished his repairs, so I just had him write up the ticket, gave him a check and I took off for my meeting.  (The RCL was also there as she had rescheduled herself to Tuesday this week.  So she was going to be able to lock up the place after both she and the plumber were done.)  The great finishing touch to the story is that when I got home last night and checked out the bathroom fix, the toilet wouldn't flush! 

As per our agreement when I left him to do his work, he was also going to replace the aged valve system on the water tank for the toilet.  Turns out that he used the old chain between the flush handle and the valve in the tank, and that chain must have snapped with the test flush that he surely did before he left.  An example of Murphy's Law in home repairs.  Fortunately, I do have the skills to replace that chain!

(For the record, the irregular presentation of paragraphs today is another Blogger snafu.  I can't get it to left-justify after having first put up the camel pic.)

I may be in the market for a new CD player (or whatever is the proper system these days) for my listening pleasure on Maplecrest.  My now 12-15 year old CD player (a cheap Best Buy model) ate a couple of disc's last night, and the amplifier occasionally kicks itself to "mute".  Not that I have that big of a CD collection, but I like George or Garth in the background when I'm doing the crosswords.  Much of the time, I have the DirecTV playing the Classic Country station as the easy option.

My original venture into music equipment (which I may have related here previously...sorry!), was from my USAF days in South Korea.  I came home with lots of speakers, a big amplifier, and various tape players, noise reduction units and other "black boxes" that may have done nothing other than lighten my wallet.  But at the time, the system looked pretty impressive!  (My original self-made plywood bookcase was built to house this equipment.)  The speakers may still be in use as end tables on Century Heights Avenue.

If I had more interest, this turn of events could be the incentive to re-invent the furniture arrangement in my living room.  If I don't need the old entertainment console to support an archaic sound system, why not bring in some new stuff?  But then you get into some "tail wagging the dog" logic that might suggest that the perfectly fine DirecTV-radio is the best answer to a non-question.

Enough from here.  Hope the visit in NYC goes well for the sisters.  I'll be heading up to Harvest Path on Friday, so the wheels of the fam will definitely be rolling this week.

BCOT


No comments: