Thursday, June 19, 2014

Thursday

I thought that I might get this done on Wednesday, but my day got out of kilter with 1st Coffee with my pal Cal coming after the early ride, but before the shower and prep for the business day.  That's a rarity on a weekday.  Not that I couldn't get used to that routine.  Anyway, with Wednesday afternoon golf at Geneva on the schedule, the blog got shuffled to the bottom of the list. 

This may be 2's last day at Augie.  Not an insignificant milestone on her life-line.  She gets the title of Daughter of the Day for her choice to take a swim into deeper water.  You da' girl, Kiddo!

We're looking at Saturday being the official first day of Summer.  The down side is that that means the early sunlight now begins it's slow fade up the clock-face.  Having natural light at 0500 makes the early ride a whole lot more palatable.  By mid August, we'll be needing the head-lamps on the bikes if we take off before 0545.  Bummer. 

(Hmmm.  That may be presenting the wrong perspective.  Let's go with The Glad Game and appreciate that there's still several weeks of perfectly fine light for the early ride.  By September, I'll be ready for some non-biking fitness anyway.)

The College World Series (CWS) is going on this week in Omaha.  I haven't followed it much this year.  I saw one story where there's some concern that the effort to tone-down the aluminum bats in college ball (for player safety) may have been too successful.  The home run count is way down.  Small-ball has become the dominant game plan.  That may win more games right now, but lbh, girls love the long ball.

With so much other news in the sporting world right now (NBA Finals, Stanley Cup finals, US Golf Open, World Cup among other things), the CWS has been challenged to claim any headlines.  Is there even a new Erin Andrews on the scene in Omaha?  (Speaking of TBT.)

Today's Top Ten list: Where in the World was Lt.PC at this approximate time over the last 50 years?

1.  50 Years ago:  Iowa State Babe Ruth champions.  Our team went on to get smoked in the multi-state regional in Cape Girardeau, Missouri.
2.  45 years ago:  US Air Force boot camp for 30 days at Charleston AFB, South Carolina.  Summer after junior year at ND.  Never been so hot in my life.
3.  40 years ago:  First of two Summers in grad school in Iowa City.  There were some good parties with my friends in Solon.
4.  35 years ago:  Our last year in C-town.  Lots of Cubs games.  Sports Corner is a fav hang-out.
5.  30 years ago:  My pal Bill joins me in my accounting/tax business. 
6.  25 years ago:  New building for the business in Davenport.  Shocking to me that it has been 25 years since we moved into this place.  ACL operation.
7.  20 years ago:  Now in the new house in Bettendorf.  We have begun our trips to Tahoe. 
8.  15 years ago:  I turn the Big 5-0.  January golf trip to Cabo for the first time.  We begin a series of years with two kids in college at the same time.
9.  10 years ago:  Now in the house on Maplecrest.  Half-marathons in Green Bay and QC.
10.  5 years ago.  2 and I do our first trip to Italy and France.

Yeah, I may be off a year or two with some of that.  But you get the drift.  They may be milestones, but maybe not all that interesting stuff to the Peanut Gallery.

Hope it is a good day in your neighborhood.

BCOT

No comments: