Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Tuesday

I have become a bit of a geek with my new camera. The Christmas "gifts" included a flash attachment, a tripod, and some extra storage cards. Thrown in was one of those digital picture frames. To facilitate transfer of pics, I bought a mini card reader that I can connect to my laptop with a USB connector cord that allows transfer of data between devices. Suite!

The progression of technology in my world has really had a definitive and impactful progression. Here's a bit of a Top Ten list, in partial order of occurrence:

1. Grade school: The party-line telephone on the farm. #682-2548. USPS.
2. High school: Computers did not exist. Not even a ten-key. The radio was king.
3. College: Paper tape records in computer science class. USPS.
4. USAF: My first ten-key electronic computing machine. USPS. An electric typewriter.
5. Grad school: IBM card programs in computer operations class. The same typewriter.
6. AA & Co. in C-town: Batch processing to an outside service. A computer operator.
7. The 1980's: PC's. Word processing. Mag cards. Truck phones. FedEx.
8. The 1990's: Desktop tax programs. Dot matrix printers. Fax machines.
9. The early 2000's: Cell phones. CD's. Satellite stuff. Email.
10: Today: Wireless every thing.

I had to hurry through this a bit. 2 and I are headed over to Augie for a game and I need to get going. The list could be expanded and refined with interesting details. I might do that later.

Here's a little shout out to 4 as Daughter of the Day. I didn't get her featured on her birthday last week. You 'da girl!

Have a great evening.

BCOT

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Martha said:

What about the calculator you got when you started at Iowa in the early 70s?