Friday, December 12, 2008

Friday

This has been a challenging week. 3 advised me this AM that I had been negligent to my cast-of-thousands readers. Of course. The lions and tigers (and sharks) kept me on my toes. Still lots to do.

2 and I shared pizza with 4 at The Airliner in IC on Wednesday evening, on our way to the Augie game in Mt. Vernon (20 miles north of IC). I'm thinking that 2 went to the game to get the pizza and the popcorn.

My Tuesday evening was taken up with a visitation/memorial service for a client's 20-something son who passed away after a 5+ year battle with cancer. It was a huge gathering. Visitations are never much fun, but when the decedent is young, its even harder to process.

(My snow blower did come in handy on Tuesday night. The blower started on the second or third pull. Pre-planning worked. I did my dis-abled neighbor's driveway, but not mine! The Taurus and the Russian cleaning lady's car blocked me from doing my own.)

And my pal Roy had the other side of his heart roto-rooted on Tuesday as well. Angioplasty for those into technical terms. Three stints. He gets bulk pricing. All's well. He was back at coffee on Thursday AM.

I'm not sure which drama interests me least, the Big Three bailout, or the Illinois governor's arrest. Both situations are saturated with politics, greed, corruption and players trying to avoid the spot light. Can it be a surprise if the Big O (and his chief of staff) get tainted as the layers are pealed back on the scandal?

So I am spending my lunch hour at the Speedy Lube with the Buick. (And "speedy they ain't.) Denying any interest in additional filters, flushes or fluids. There was a time before marriage (and certainly before kids) when I would save the $20 bucks and change my own oil. But you always had to dispose of the old oil (and filter) and it was always a mess. The hassle factor is way higher today.

Iowa-Iowa State men's basketball tonight in IC. Can't say that I know many of the players on either team. Both have had decent seasons thus far, but we'll see what the real deal is once the conference seasons start after January 1st. The bigger schools all seem to come out of December with 10+ wins against so-so competition (and lots of home games). Winning on the road in the league (whatever the league) is always an iffy proposition. Augie has the same problem in D-3.

I doubt if I get back to this before tomorrow. Work is a beach.

BCOT

No comments: