Sunday, April 26, 2015

Sunday

The updated Home Page pic was taken just last night from the rooftop East Village Social Club, New York. A fine place for food, vino and conversation. I know the owners. Great hosts.

These three-day visits to NYC are the best. Just the right amount of time for us to catch up on life in the big city, see a few sights, and collect some artifacts for the basement wall. This time was a hit in all respects...the cool weather not withstanding.

Let's make 3 and 4 DAUGHTERS OF THE DAY for efforting to make the LtPC's visit successful.




This shot is from a year ago, I know, but I'm told enough is enough with the picture-taking.

I have no big take-always to report from this trip. But some memories worth reporting:

1. 4 and I did a mini-bar crawl on Friday early-evening as we used the couple of hours that we had after naps (yes, there were naps!) to leisurely wind our way to the Italian place (Primi) where we had dinner reservations. WWW?
2. Shopping with 3.1 for the Saturday evening BBQ at the EVSC was a hoot. We hit the market for the veggies, the butcher shop for the meats, and the hardware store for the BBQ utensils that will have a nice future on 13th street. That butcher shop was a find.
3. The Guggenheim NY...decidedly meh.
4. Another superb deli lunch with 4 on Friday. Classic hole in the wall place seating maybe 30 at a time.
5. Joe Jr.'s for brunch on Saturday was another experience I recommend for all visitors. I don't think it seats 25. Kills breakfast.
6. The cost of our standard wine currency (J Lohr '12) ran $16.99 at the Astor Place shop and I think $13.99 at Trader joe's. I bought a couple of medium-priced Bordeaux's at Trader Joe's for the BBQ. Not bad.
7. We got chased from Washington Square Park on Saturday afternoon by a percussion group of about 10 members from NYU, I think, banging drums and other bangees that was beyond annoying.
8. Lots of crosswording done by 3 and myself over the weekend. She may be addicted to the app that she now has on her phone for the daily puzzle. I find that after these trips where I have challenged myself with the harder puzzles for that I need a break for a few days.
9. I'm glad The Winniferous doesn't live in NYC. I continue to be surprised by the large number of dog owners in the city. There's just not enough grass for a dog to do his/her business.
10. I'm a little worried about my next trip with the airlines...probably Tahoe in early August. This one went too smoothly. It's a math thing.

I brought along last week's Sports Illustrated for reading material on this trip. It was the one with Jordan Spieth on the cover for his Master's win. Spieth absolutely dominated the tournament. They coulda included a couple of sidebar articles as well. Instead, the editors elected to include an equally long article in the issue on how Tiger came to the tournament and didn't embarrass himself. That was the gist of the article that SI thought deserved national publication...Tiger wasn't bad. Gee. No wonder he thinks he deserves everything. But his time has passed. The young guns have the stage. Go watch Lindsey ski, Tiger.

The SI magazine was actually devoted mostly to the up-coming NFL draft. There was page after page of articles and player-capsules for every position on the field. And it got pretty gritty, giving the strengths and weaknesses of each named player, along with vital statistics like height, weight, speed and even wing-span. If this info were put out on social media, someone would call it shaming or bullying. Funny how context matters.

The explosion of data-mining in sports is impressive. While we have had wide-spread access to computers for four-five decades now, the massaging of big, relevant data is just now making its way to the head of the class. The front office GM's are sorting through situational performance to the point of, "Let's run a simulation" before signing or trading prospects or veterans. Not that it's a bad idea. Over time, the Bell curve matters.

So landing soon. Look for more regular entries here beginning this week. That's my plan. Make it a good one in your neighborhood.

BCOT
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: