Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Tuesday

I'm declaring today as Mt. Rose Day on the blog.  According to the memory wall on Maplecrest, I did the Reno-to-the-Summit ride on this date in 2010.  We have pictures to prove it.  Blogger limits my ability to place comments with each photo, so, you're on your own to interpret the images.  By the time I finally arrived at the top of the climb, my audience had become completely bored.

(I think this may have been my third or fourth time up Mt. Rose.  Each time I had made the climb, I had declared that that was the last time for that nonsense.  But after a couple of years, the memory was dulled enough to have another go at it.)

This trip was slow death march for me, but a walk in the park compared to the next time up the hill after 07282012.  That latter effort was my final time up the long side of the mountain.  For sure.  As Tahoe Phil would say, I'm a slow learner.

I'll be recognizing the Galibier (2009) and the Tourmelet (2011) climbs on separate days in August and September.  If the Catholics can have holy days of obligation, LtPC can have Mountain Memory Days.

Speaking of mountains, Rule #1 of Cycling claimed a second favorite of this year's TdF when Alberto Contador went down hard to the deck yesterday on a descent and had to abandon the race.  There has been a ton of crashes this year, some caused by the rain-slickened roads, others by rider mistakes.  Lose concentration for a heart beat, and the next thing you know, there's no rubber between you and the pavement.  There'll be more victims before they get to Paris.



2 notes on Twitter that this is The Winniferous's birthday.  I'm not sure I knew that factoid.  But 2 knows all there is to know about The W, so we'll give our favorite cairn terrier the distinction of  Woman's Best Friend of the Day here on the blog.  She'll just have to share honors with Mt. Rose.

This shot of 1.01 was taken at the rest station on Mt. Rose as the fam waited for me to get the ride done.  She looks real interested in the proceedings, eh?

The shot at the lookout was actually taken a couple of days later as we did our standard family-photo-shoot upon departure from Tahoe.


In other news, I plan only to watch Jeter's first at-bat tonight in the ASG.  I hardly know any of the players these days, other than the big names, and a few from the StL squad.  With the latest visit from the Polar Vortex, the fans had better dress for Fall-like conditions at Target Field.

Nike has done a pretty cool commercial in honor of Jeter.  You need to play it and replay a time or two it to identify all of the people who they have tipping their hat to The Captain.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBoeNFz0NOM

(Daddy was who taught me to tip my hat to people out of respect.  And when I say "taught me", it was by his actions, not in a sit-down lesson.  I've been doing that more lately as a way to acknowledge someone whom I may not know, but whom I want to send a small greeting.  He always wore a hat, a business Fedora or Urban hat(!) for town and church, a ball cap on the farm or at a game.  Maybe I got the habit from him, eh? )



OK.  Enough of this hodge podge (olio for you NYT crossword fans).

BCOT




No comments: