Thursday, November 13, 2008

Thursday

Just a few lines today.

I had a substitute Russian cleaning lady today. The regular gal is out of town this week. Irina must have schooled this gal pretty good, as everything from the laundry to the kitchen counter arrangement was left in identical fashion as Irina's style. Do you give the pinch-hitter notes on how to dust? I like the results.

I had the regional administrative coordinator from my broker-dealer in the office this afternoon to conduct her annual audit of our procedures and documentation protocols. This is the grass-roots over-sight that all brokers must endure. I get critiqued on whether I have enough paper in my files. I wonder if the derivative creators on Wall Street actually had a compliance officer look over their shoulder. I have to put a disclaimer on the note card stock that I use to send informal greetings to customers. And those guys get millions on exit contracts.

Glad to see RevKev back online.

Anybody have an answer as to why all the investigators on the CSI shows always work with flashlights? In the middle of the day? Are all of their crime scenes located in buildings with no electrical service?

The economic turmoil will likely have some significant impact on some of the sports that rely heavily on sponsors for financial backing. I'm thinking NASCAR and golf tournaments in particular. NASCAR gets lots of support from the manufacturers ( Ford, GM and Chrysler), who are all standing in the halls of Congress with hats in hand looking for bailout money. If they get it, how will it play on Main Street that the manufacturers are still bank-rolling race cars?

Buick (a division of GM), is the title sponsor for at least three PGA tournaments. And Tiger Woods is the lead spokesman for Buick. See where this leads? And Wachovia is the lead sponsor for the Charlotte stop. Cadillac (another GM model) has always been a big advertiser for golf as well. Anybody trust the regulators, the executives or Congress to keep a lid on this? To say that the soup is murky is an understatement.

Kill Green is back on ER tonight. I didn't know that ER was still on the schedule.

I bought a SB's Gold Card. $25. It gives you a 10% discount on every purchase. For a five-day-a-week visitor with a $2 habit, the payback is 25 weeks. This scheme may front some money to the corporation, but I think that its a financial loser in the long run. And the sign-up packet gives you three, one-time 10% cards that 2 will be able to use for her one-pound purchases that she uses for home brew.

They're talking mid-30's for a high in IC on Saturday for the game. Peppermint schnapps may be the order of the day.

Have a great Friday.

BCOT

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

i can comment on several of these topics...
i also wonder why csi has to use flashlights in the middle of the day and why the house they are investigating is so dark. i don't know that many people who have heavy drapes closed in their entire house in the middle of the day. they also use flashlights outside in the middle of the day. ever notice that their clothes never change, either? they can solve every crime in one day. that or they stay at the lab in the same clothes until the case is solved. by and far the best csi is the original one, las vegas. the cast is better than any of the others.

the sb's card...how does that work? i'm going to hop to their website and figure out how to get one of my own. it would surely pay itself back for me, too. i can't make the switch to home brewed. i do brew on saturday mornings before my run because i only want a small cup and it's not worth driving for. matt makes coffee to take on weekdays but it i just don't think it tastes the same!

Anonymous said...

They say 21 days makes a habit and I made brewing my own coffee and washing my dishes a habit. It was had the first few weeks, but I set my coffee at night when I do my dishes and I spend $8 every 2 1/2 weeks on Starbucks coffee. That's versus $15 a week that I used to spend. When you start adding it up .. it really adds up. And, since they shut down my Starbucks, not only would I be spending money I don't have, I'd have to get up 20 minutes earlier to get my coffee. Brewing at home is in my favor..

I have become a fan of CSI NY. Miami is just too much for me.

I've already started to by decor for the party. Some of it lights up and sparkles. You'll be impressed.... :)

Anonymous said...

we think we solved the problem with our home-brewed coffee. joe y told us that it is probably our 'element' in the coffee maker-since the day we bought the maker it hasn't brewed a burn-your-tongue-hot cup of coffee. he thinks that because the water is getting hot enough when it filters through the beans it's not getting the full flavor. seems to make sense. we paid a lot of money for the coffee maker a few years ago and should have taken it back then. we got out the mr. coffee to see if he still works (he's been in a paperbag on the garage shelf) but i didn't think that cup was any hotter than the other one. we may be looking at a potential christmas present replacement...

Anonymous said...

Martha said:

We have had a Starbucks card for years and they sent us a Gold Card free!

The last 3 years I taught, my students ran a coffee shop. Our supplier was Illy coffee (Italian). We were taught how important it was to clean the system regularly. Also, some coffee shops hold the coffee too long, but not Starbucks.
I think McDonald's coffee is good and occasionally get it.
My big treat is Sundays for Starbucks cappucino and the Times.
We just finish the last season of The Wire from Netflix. Best series we've watched in a long time.